Sunday, July 26, 2009

Viva la Vida!

What a magical night at Riverport on Friday night. Yes, finally, my sweet Chris Martin and the guys from Coldplay came back to St. Louis after a loooong 4 years. The last time we saw Coldplay was literally the day before I found out we were pregnant with Claire. We've seen them for a total of 3 times now. Mike and I fell in love to the soundtrack of "Parachutes", we put one of their songs on our wedding cd and we generally just adore this band. I compare their concerts to having a religious experience. There is usually goosebumps and even tears of joy. Friday night was no different.

We got a great group together on the lawn; my sister, Leah, Carrie, Jason, Jenny and Matt, Eric and Suzanne and we even got to see Aunt Jackie, Sami and their family from France! The coolest part was that halfway through the show, the guys walked out onto the lawn and played some acoustic songs from a mini-stage. I gravitated for the spotlight following the band like a moth to a flame. I got SO close to them! It was unreal. They played "Green Eyes", the dummer Will played guitar and sang a little ditty and Chris broke out into a "Bille Jean" Michael Jackson cover. The crowd went wild. In all of my years going to shows at Riverport (technically it's Verizon Wireless, but it'll always be Riverport to me...) and I've never known a show to go out on the lawn. Considering lawn tickets were a reasonable (?) $60 a piece, I thought that was pretty cool. We also got a free live cd "Left Right Left Right Left", which has some great live tunes.

Besides the 60 minutes it took for us to exit the dang parking lot - it was a magical night to remember. I can't wait until they come back!

Oh! and by the way - a friend of Carrie's got this photograph and autograph from Chris Martin after the show. Who's that girl in the limo? And is Chris not wearing a shirt? Gwyneth?!....

No comments:

Post a Comment