Sunday, January 31, 2010

How I'm Feeling

i had my tonsillectomy on wednesday morning. it was quick - but NOT painless. I felt surpringsingly well on Wednesday. Mom came into town to help take care of me and Claire. Thursday I slept most of the day. Watched Seven Pounds and 500 Days of Summer. Friday was getting worse and by Friday night I was in so much pain it was scary. The surgeon's nurse called to check on my on friday and I told her i was concerned because the pain meds I was prescribed to take every 6 hours were only lasting 4. She said to go ahead and take a dose every 4 hours. Within 24 hours of that phone call I was needing to take the hyrdrocodone every 2-3 hours. that's what i mean by scary. mom called the surgeon on friday night and he recommended that we go to the ER so we could get a stronger narcotic like percocet - which he couldn't call in. Saturday around noon, Mike took me the MoBap ER and they took good care of me.  It was kinda funny, they took me to triage with two male nurses, a female ER doc and Mike and asked me a bunch of questions. the first being "So you're having throat pain?" I'm like - yeah! That's an understatement. I don't think she saw that I had just had a tonsillectomy. By using hand signals and facial expressions I told the nurses' about my symptoms and current medications. Every once in a while I would need to rely on Mike to talk to them. The funniest part was when the nurse asked when my "last menses" was. I looked to Mike and showed him 3 fingers for the 3 years i've had an IUD. He looked at me like i was crazy, i don't think he heard the question. so the male nurses were probably like - oh geez! dude doesn't know what menses is. I just held up three fingers and looked at them all hopefully. the nurses think it's an auction. 3 days? 3 weeks, 3 hours? Finally Mike gets it and tells them 3 years. We all had a good laugh. Then a new male nurse (many male nurses here) gave me the quickest and painless IV i've ever had. He was done before I was able to exhale. I want to hire him as my personal IV'er! They took me to a private ER room that I immediately recognized as the one they put psych patients in because it had no windows, artwork, doorknobs or tv but instead had a camera to record all my crazy behavior. Tony, the IV nurse said he was going to give me naseua medication b/c the pain meds might make me sick. He gave me dilaudid and said I would start feeling it within 15 seconds. I'm like feel something good or bad? He said I'd get really dizzy and lightheaded until my equilibrium caught up with me. He was very right. Around 15 seconds later I go "WHOA!". my legs and arms felt like they were floating and i asked mike to come over and "rub my legs so they stop floating". I'm sure he was amused. That was SOME GOOD STUFF! The pain went away within 5 minutes and I was feeling good! They observed me four several hours and gave me some IV fluids and another dose of the good stuff and then sent me home with liquid oxycodone and a liquid steroid. so all these medicines make me really sleepy. mike and i watched Taken with Liam Neeson last night. it was horrible acting and an unbelievable story and i fell asleep an hour into it but i was happy to hang out with Mike because I've been spending so much time alone lately. This morning my mom leaves :( She's probably sick of this high-maintenance household! She was such a big help! I want Mike to go and get my coffee ice cream and another flavor but not sure yet. I also want a peanut butter milkshake - yay! Ok - back to nappy time.

No comments:

Post a Comment