Thursday, September 16, 2010

2nd time in ER :(

I had a fairly good weekend of laying around, getting good rest, eating some IHOP chocolate chip pancakes for breakfast, etc. But things took a turn for the worse on Sunday afternoon. I started vomitting around noon and did every 40 minutes or so for the next 8-9 hours. I had to break down and call my mommy b/c with Mike sick with a bad cold/allergy thing and did i mention i have an energetic 4-year who can only entertain herself for so long!? Mom came to the rescue - literally and drove up on sunday night from columbia. By the time she got here I was in worse shape and we quickly realized I needed to go back to the ER. I was worried the next step would be the dreaded zofran pump, but i knew i needed help holding down fluids and my medicine.

So mom drove me to St. John's late Sunday night. After a barfing pit stop on the side of the highway :( i was treated for dehydration and nausea for several hours. Mom and I got to see another ultra-sound image of the baby. The ER doc warned us that it was too early to probably detect gender, and he didn't see any privies, but he did specifically mention that the baby had "big, beautiful hands". He (the doc) was really cute and sweet to me during my stay and was genuinely excited to show me the images on the screen. It really does make you feel SO much better! The baby was just as active as last time, moving all around. Made me really happy to see and I'm glad mom could see it too.

I spent the next day sleeping most of the day on Monday. My OB told me to start the process of ordering the zofran pump when i returned from the ER. By Tuesday I was back at work and that night the home health nurse came to hook me up to the pump. Mike was a sweetheart and he relearned how to use all of the medical equiptment and give me the injections I'll need every 2-3 days. It hurt, but not as bad as I remember. The system is a little different than it was 4 years ago with Claire. The pump and carrier are WAY bigger this go around, but the good news is that we don't have to constantly refill the medication syringe every 10-18 hours - I get one full week's worth of medicine at a time. The home health nurse will make a home visit every Tuesday and give me a new kit. So now I have this big ol' fanny pack on my hip, I can also carry it as a purse or over my shoulder like a medicine bag, but I guess I like the hip the best b/c it's the most hands free. Claire has tons of questions about the pump. "Mommy is your boo boo better? Why is the medicine clear (she can see the liquid throught the tubing) Are you OK? Does is hurt? Why do you have it?" and on and on and on.

On an awesome, stupendous (as Claire would say) note - I have been feeling wonderful!!! I mean, I can't believe it. The night I first got the pump I ended up puking twice after the nurse left. But the next day we had an all-day staff retreat at work and in the afternoon I actually went bowling with my co-workers! I even got a strike baby! I couldn't believe how good I was doing. When I came home from work that night I skipped my usual nap and went downstairs and started painting a gift for friends who are having a baby soon. I've been meaning to do it for weeks and have just not felt up to it.

I'm writing this on Thursday afternoon and I feel great! I'm hungry, going to meet a friend for lunch at Westport and we have plans to take Claire to see "Disney on Ice" tonight - which I didn't think I would be able to attend. I'm so excited! and I really hope it's not a fluke and it's a result of the medicine pump. It's a fashion faux pas and a real pain in the ass (or thigh), but if I feel this good the rest of the pregnancy it is DEFINATELY worth it!

Thank you friends and family for all of your kind phone calls, emails, facebook messages and prayers. They really do make a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment